The following paragraphs outline the differences between the divisions. In order to help athletes better determine which Division to compete; below are standards to self-test and classify yourself. We are only publishing Elite Division standards, as the other Divisions are clearly defined. If an athlete doesn’t fit into the Elite Standards, they default to either the Intermediate or Light Division. If an athlete is 45 years or older, they can (not mandatory) compete in the Master’s Division. Women’s Division is self-explanatory.We make no attempt to sound sarcastic, we are just trying to simplify this as much as possible.
An athlete in the elite division should be, …….elite! They should be both physically fit as well as a highly skilled shooter. Both competencies are required in this division. We add nuances to the shooting to make it more difficult, and we add weight and distance to the Battles to make them more challenging. You may be an elite shooter, but not an elite athlete. If that is the case, enter the Intermediate Division. Conversely, if you are an elite athlete, but NOT an elite shooter, enter the Intermediate Division. We expect athletes to be completely competent and understand ballistics, hold-offs, weapons handling, and above all, safety! We also expect an athlete to be honest, and not sandbag by entering the Intermediate Division when they are clearly an elite athlete.
Elite Division Standards
We developed these standards to provide athletes a metric to self-test to classify themselves in the appropriate division.
Elite Division Recommended Standards
Activity Minimum Recommended Time Hack/Note
1.5 mile run with Kit 12 min 10.5 min
Push-ups 50 80-100 2 min
Grip/Leg Strength* 30 50-60 2 min
Power/Endurance* 5 min 3.5 min
Pull-ups 6 10-15
Cannot come off the bar. Must be strict. No kipping
*Grip/Leg Strength: Use (2) 45lb dumbbells and do full squats from dumbbell touching the ground to full extension.
*Power/Endurance: Pickup and move a 50lb sandbag 50yards and do 10 burpees, repeat for a total of 4 runs and record total time. Time should fall within the 7-12 minute range.
- 300 point accuracy standard; to be done at 15 yards, 2 hand, strong hand, and support hand; 10 shots for each method. Shot with an NRA B8P bullseye target and can be done at any indoor range. Minimum passing score is 80% and recommended score is 90-95%
- Fast Drill @ 7 yards: Minimum time hack is 7s and recommended standard is sub 6s
- El Presidente Drill @7 yards: Recommended time envelope is between 7 and 9 seconds.
- Walk Back Drill
- Starting at 10 yards, shoot one round on steel.
- Walk back 10 yards, and shoot another round on steel.
- Repeat this process and walk back as far as you can go before missing repeatedly.
- Normally, a shooter gets two shots at each distance. If the shooter misses both shots at a particular distance, the drill is finished and he has reached the limit at which his/her fundamentals break down.
- An athlete competing in the Elite Division should be able to shoot fairly easily out to 50 yards and beyond. Great shooters can continue to hit steel out to well over 100 yards.
Elite athletes may encounter the following at an event:
- 150# – 200# Sandbag carries and lifts
- Multiple Rope Climbs in full kit, back to back
- Obstacles such as wall climbs, low crawls, monkey bars, tunnel crawls, balance beams, etc.
- Pistol Shots out to 50 yards on a C-Zone Steel Target
- Off Axis shots with rifle
If you do not feel confident in these movements, you should sign up for intermediate or light. If you are in the Elite Division and you are not keeping up with the general level of the Elite Competitors at an event, and you are impeding the progress of the event, we will move you to the Intermediate Division.
In the Intermediate Division, athletes are expected to be safe above all else. There should be a competency in weapons handling skills, in other words, an ability to ensure you are not pointing your weapons at other athletes, the judges, and the spectators. Even experienced shooters and experienced athletes are learning at The Tactical Games. We consistently try to provide unorthodox shooting positions and have athletes do things they wouldn’t normally do…..just like combat. So, if you are not an elite shooter, but a pretty good shooter, and you are not an elite athlete, but you run, do Crossfit, or lift regularly and are in relatively good health, sign up for the Intermediate Division.
Masters Division is pretty easy to explain. If you are 45 years old or older, sign up for the Masters Division. Both elite and intermediate athletes over 45 years old can compete in this Division. IF you are over 45 years old, but wish to compete in the Elite or Intermediate Divisions to get a baseline against younger men, that is fine. But you will be compared to those men, and you will not be eligible for a trophy in the Masters Division.
The Women’s Division is easiest of them all to explain, however, in our current generation where fact and discernment are not the normal, we will be specific. In order to enter the Women’s Division, you must have been born with ovaries, your DNA must be that of a female homo-sapien. This is science, not politics. Women may sign up for the Women’s Division, No exceptions.
To quote Mr. Incredible from the movie The Incredibles, “Who wants the pressure of being incredible all the time?” For these folks, men and women alike, we are created the “Light” division. This division will only have to have their plate carriers weigh in at 8lbs. They will have the luxury of scaling the battles to a great extent, and even opting out of portions of the Battles if they feel they cannot safely complete that particular activity. We have had veterans who have been injured in combat and have specific injuries that prohibit them from climbing ropes, or from pushing a wheelbarrow, for example. These folks will just say, “I’m skipping this portion of the battle.” And move on to the next part of the battle. There will be no pressure, and no shame, just fun to be had, and the experience to be gained. The flip-side to this Division is the Light Division will not be eligible for prizes or trophies.